Monday, September 17, 2012

01. The Lay of the Land.


So, here we are: Six weeks in Istanbul. And here is my first blog post. I've been torn about whether to blog or just post on Facebook. But it's hard to keep track of the story on FB—intermingled with all my social and political posts, photos of cute animals, and the random memes ...

A smattering of iPhone photos have been downloaded, but mostly they are uninspired because we've suffered from jet lag and a general malaise. Moving abroad is so exciting, but the practicality is that it takes awhile—a good long while apparently—to actually get settled in and own the new adventure!

First of all, it takes a few trips around the city/ neighborhood to even comprehend what you're looking at; are these houses the usual style? How is the architecture the same or different from what you're used to or even from other parts of the area? What is modest versus lower income or higher income? These insights take time! 

First snap, on the ride from the airport to our neighborhood.
Mosque minarets replace church steeples as points of beauty
and interest.
Second snap, noting the patriotic tendency here to fly
the crescent and star!
Ah!
A welcomed sight in a foreign land.
Hills. Everywhere.
And we're fortunate to be in the part of the city
with many open, green spaces.


Part of our neighborhood. At twilight.
We will be happy here!

My goal is to post often. Happily noting things of interest as we make this country our home over the next three years. If you have questions, please ask. I'll do my best to let you know how things are going here in the land where East meets West! xx


10 comments:

  1. I think I will like the blog better than FB updates. It has more depth and body and a better understanding of your adventure. Best wishes.
    Tammy T xxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled to follow your blog -- just added it to my favorites lidy along with my niece's blog (she's spending her junior year in HS abroad in China). Between Beijing and Istanbul, you two are going to bring the world right to my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You're blogging! Can't wait to read more of your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary aka Mary-Mary aka MaSeptember 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM

    I look forward to sharing your adventure through your blog. You've always been excellent in expressing yourself and taking one along, with words, on your adventures. The pictures are an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great way to share in you, Mike & Grace's adventure. Hopefully I'll be able to make a guest appearance :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tina! I knew you'd be a great blogger. Looking forward to following you here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Late to the party!! :) But now at least I know it's here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've subscribed by email, Tina! Looking forward to your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wait...I just subscribed to this comment thread...not the blog. Hmmm...where's the RSS button so I can subscribe to my feed? No matter. Do you let FB know when you have a new blog post? I'll check your page.

    ReplyDelete